Saturday, March 31, 2012

ten words and phrases to avoid

  1. irregardless--simply not a word.  Yes, it makes it into the dictionary--as substandard English. "Regardless" gets the job done, as does "in spite of ", "disregarding", and "despite".
  2. utilize--one of my least favorite words.  In almost every instance, the writer (or speaker) simply means "use".  It is a word snatched from early computer programming, and using it indiscriminately makes me sound like a pompous ass .  It's three syllables where one would work.  Used carefully, utilize has its place, but I always ask myself if the sentence would mean anything different if I substituted "use".  One valid example I've come across is, "the teachers were unable to use the computers," implying computer-illiterate teachers.  "The teachers were unable to utilize the computers" implies something else--perhaps some idiot rule that teachers can  only employ computers between the hours of 3:00 am and 5:00 am.
  3. at this point in time--since when did "now" go out of fashion?  Or, even better, simply letting a statement stand on its own.  If I write "I have no money"  is there any doubt that I'm writing about my current financial distress?  Adding "at this point in time" adds nothing.  To my discourse or my wallet.
  4. their, as a gender-neutral singular pronoun--Their is plural, though it is becoming the common chicken-shit way to dodge the gender thing, even in respected publications.  ("No one wants their prose criticized.")   But, if you can rewrite it for subject/verb agreement, do.  ("Authors don't like having their prose criticized.") . At least be aware of where and why you violate the rule.
  5. imply/infer--you imply something.  I infer it (unless I'm exceedingly dense or not paying attention.)  "I inferred from the conversation that she was implying my fashion sense sucks." Implications go out into the world.  Inferences come to you from all the veiled (or not so veiled) hints others direct your way.
  6. compose/comprise--another distinction that is heading to the dustbin of English language,  but I mourn its loss.  The pieces compose the whole.  The whole comprises the pieces. A thousand pieces compose a jigsaw puzzle.  A jigsaw puzzle comprises a thousand little pieces.  I compose a piece of writing.  The English language comprises a million frustrating rules.
  7. cliches-- If tired phrases are driving the bus, kick them to the curb. Show them the door, and don't let the door hit them on the way out.  Give them the axe, cut them to the quick, and shoot them the bird.  Give yourself a big high-five, and let the rubber meet the road.  It's a new day. You're going for the whole nine yards.  You are so outta the cliche business. Show no mercy. The rubber doesn't need to meet the road. 
  8. emoticons--just say NO.  Okay.  Maybe in the occasional personal email when I am feeling particularly lazy, I may have slipped.  If you want to look smarter than an eight year old, keep them far away from business, professional, or creative writing. :o)
  9. jargon--Okay.  So I know it's unavoidable, exists in every industry, and makes writing to your fellow left-handed Eastern European cellists much easier.  But, please, please, please, know your audience, and excise the jargon with care.  No one but you and your fellow 1980s reprobates knows that a  spliff is a large marijuana cigarette. Be specific, jargon-free, and descriptive.  Outsiders will thank you, and people in your bubble will still know what you are talking about.
  10. It goes without saying--If it goes without saying, don't say it. If something is obvious to you but may not be obvious to everybody, then just make your case without apology.  It goes without saying, you sound like an obnoxious snot when you condescend to your audience.

4 comments:

  1. No emoticons? That makes Ratty sad.
    : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. L'il Ratty can use emoticons in certain places. Just try to avoid them when Target shoots down your contract proposal for a ten percent rate increase, or your boss emails you that your request to redecorate your cubicle as a Middle Eastern marketplace has been denied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm turning my cube into a Middle Eastern marketplace, irregardless.
    Rat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you have some snakes in baskets for sale? I think a rat should sell snakes in baskets. I love irony.

    ReplyDelete